Missouri Students Association
University of Missouri
AN ACT TO CREATE A TRAVEL POOL FOR THE 2014-2015 FISCAL YEAR BUDGET
PURPOSE: To establish a travel pool for all Missouri Students Association departments and auxiliaries to use by request for the 2014-2015 Fiscal Year; To amend Chapter IV of the Bylaws to include a procedure for requesting travel funds and establish a minimum threshold of 35% allocated out of the total amount of the contingency and reserve account.
WHEREAS, Due to the tight fiscal year, all travel was cut from the 2013-2014 Fiscal Year; AND
WHEREAS, In the interest of allowing all organizations under the Missouri Students Association equal access and opportunity to acquire necessary travel fund, a percentage of the contingency and reserve account will be allocated upon request and review of the Budget committee; AND
WHEREAS, The travel pool will sustain due process to differentiate between necessary and unnecessary travel; AND
WHEREAS, Travel pool application forms will be treated the same as legislation and subject to all the requirements of legislation; AND
WHEREAS, The travel pool is a temporary measure to be reviewed after one year; AND
WHEREAS, In the event of an emergency, the total funds available in the Contingency and Reserve account will be regarded as superior over any percentage allocated to the travel pool.
WHEREAS, In the interest of fairness this method creates equal opportunity to acquire necessary travel funds; AND
WHEREAS, A travel pool eliminates the problem of travel being considered an emergency expense; AND
WHEREAS, $2,150 is currently allocated for travel for the 2014-2015 Fiscal Year.
THEREFORE BE IT ENACTED BY THE MISSOURI STUDENTS ASSOCIATION HERE ASSEMBLED THAT a travel pool be created out of contingency and reserve at 35% of the total amount allocated to the contingency and reserve account and that the budget and operations chairs along with the Vice President and Secretary of Auxiliaries meet to set two dates for application deadlines for the 2014-2015 Fall and Spring semesters, respectively.
THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER ENACTED BY THE MISSOURI STUDENTS ASSOCIATION HERE ASSEMBLED THAT the travel pool is a temporary measure to be reviewed prior to the passage of the 2015-2016 Fiscal Year budget.
THEREFORE BE IT FURTHER ENACTED BY THE MISSOURI STUDENTS ASSOCIATION HERE ASSEMBLED THAT Chapter IV of the Missouri Students Association Bylaws be amended as follows:
4.30 CONTINGENCY AND RESERVE REQUEST PROCEDURE – The processes for creating contingency and reserve requests shall be outlined below.
(A) SENATE COMMITTEE REVIEW – The contingency and reserve request shall be reviewed by the Senate Budget Committee at the committee meeting prior to the first reading of the act. The Budget Committee shall vote in accordance with the Rules of the Senate (Rule 4). If the Budget Committee does not pass the contingency and reserve request with a 3/5 majority vote then the bill shall not pass.
(B) FULL SENATE REVIEW AND FINAL PASSAGE – The contingency and reserve request shall be reviewed by the full Senate and requires a 3/5 majority vote for final passage
(C) FUNDING RESTRICTIONS – Contingency and reserve requests shall not be given to charities, be used to fund events occurring, or pay off debts incurred prior.
(D) TRAVEL POOL ALLOCATION AND REQUEST PROCEDURE – The process for creating travel pool requests and the limitations of the travel pool shall be outlined below.
(1) The allocation for the travel pool shall be no more than 35% of the total amount allocated for contingency and reserve.
(2) The amount allocated to contingency and reserve shall always take precedence over the total amount of funds allocated for the travel pool.
(3) A special committee of the Vice President, Secretary of Auxiliaries, Budget chair and Operations chair shall convene to determine two deadlines for submitting travel request forms to the Budget committee during the 2014 Fall Semester and 2015 Spring Semester
(4) All travel pool requests will subject to same guidelines as per 4.3(A) and 4.3(B).
(5) Any travel pool request submitted by the deadlines and subsequently failed by the Budget committee may be resubmitted within two weeks to be reviewed again.
(6) Section 4.3(D) shall be reviewed, either to be removed or amended, in the form of legislation prior to the passage of the 2015-2016 Fiscal Year budget.
Nicholas R. Schwartz