Missouri Students Association
University of Missouri
AN ACT TO AMEND THE MSA SENATE’S BUDGETING PROCESS
PURPOSE: To rectify inconsistencies between the bylaws and administrative practice in regard to the budget of the Missouri Student’s Association Senate
WHEREAS, the outgoing Senate Speaker has historically set the budget of the Senate for the next fiscal year, AND
WHEREAS, this is not a power or duty outlined in the bylaws attributed to the Speaker or any other officer of the Senate, AND
WHEREAS, the Budget process begins prior to the election of the Senate Speaker, AND
WHEREAS, the Senate Committee Chairs have a more accurate idea of future needs of the association than the outgoing speaker, AND
WHEREAS, the Senate Committee Chairs have a contingent interest in the budget of the Senate for the next fiscal year, AND
WHEREAS, Section 2.85 of the Bylaws reads: The Budget Committee shall be tasked with establishing and auditing the budget of the association, AND
WHEREAS, this should also apply to the internal budget of the Senate,
THEREFORE BE IT ENACTED BY THE MISSOURI STUDENTS ASSOCIATION HERE ASSEMBLED that Chapter Two of the Bylaws be amended to read as follows upon passage of this act:
2.30 LEGISLATIVE CABINET – The legislative cabinet, under the direction of the Speaker shall maintain proper operation of the legislative branch.
(A) MEMBERSHIP – The Executive Cabinet shall consist of the Speaker, Clerk of the Senate, Sergeant at Arms, Activities Director, and the Committee Chairs of each Senate committee.
(B) DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – The legislative cabinet shall:set the internal policy, goals, and duties of the legislative branch.
(1) Set the internal policy, goals, and duties of the legislative branch.
(2) Propose the Senate’s Budget to the Vice President
(i). Legislative Cabinet will hear testimony from each Senate Committee Chair prior to drafting the budget proposal to be submitted to the Vice President at a meeting specifically for this purpose.
(ii). This testimony will be taken under due consideration during the drafting of the aforementioned budget proposal.
2.50 SENATE COMMITTEES – There shall be six Senate Committees titled: Operations Committee, Student Affairs Committee, Academic Affairs Committee, Social Justice Committee, Campus and Community Relations Committee, and Budget Committee.
(A) STRUCTURE – the structure of each committee shall be as follows.
(1) COMMITTEE CHAIR – The Chair shall serve as the head of the committee. The Chair shall supervise and coordinate the committee as to achieve the goals set by the legislative cabinet. The Chair shall also meet with the budget committee to provide testimony detailing their committee’s needs for the next fiscal year during a Legislative Cabinet meeting for that purpose. Failure to execute this duty will constitute grounds for removal from office of the committee chair.
(2) COMMITTEE VICE CHAIR – The Vice Chair shall assist the Chair in all matters relevant to the committee. The Vice Chair shall be appointed by the Chair of each respective Committee.
(B) DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND POWERS – Duties, responsibilities, and powers of the committees shall be listed below.
(1) Committee Chairs shall be responsible for keeping accurate attendance of their committee.
(2) Committee Chairs shall be responsible to submit reports to the Speaker each semester, or at the request of the Speaker, detailing goals for the Committee.
(3) It shall be the duty of the Committee Chairs to oversee the operation of their committee.
(4) Committee Chairs shall have the power to summon any member of the association to their committee meeting.
2.85 BUDGET COMMITTEE – The Budget Committee shall be tasked with establishing and auditing the budget of the association.
(A) THE STUDENT FEE REVIEW COMMITTEE – The Chair of the Budget Committee shall serve as the Vice Chair of the Student Fee Review Committee (Chapter VI).
(B) ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – The Budget Committee shall meet all other prescribed duties and responsibilities.
(1) Consider bills of the Senate.
(2) Review the association budget upon submission to Senate.
(3) Audit the association budget on an as needed basis.
Benjamin S. Vega