University of Missouri

48-45: A Resolution Supporting a Fee Increase for the University of Missouri Club Sports

Whereas, the University of Missouri (MU) Club Sports fee is used to fund over 40 individual clubs and serves over 1000 students on the MU campus ensuring that the students participating in club sports such as the nationally ranked Men’s Soccer team and Racquetball team, Archery, Rugby, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, and Water Polo have an affordable and safe experience, and

Whereas, Club Sports helps to create positive leadership opportunities, leisure opportunities, and foster social connections between students which are essential to college student health and happiness. MU’s Club Sport program provides a variety of opportunities to learn a new sport, make friends, stay fit, and compete against other university clubs or teams, and

Whereas, 94% of Club Sports funding $190,047.61 comes from student fees while the remaining 6% ($12,220.00) is generated from Mizzou Recreation Services, and

Whereas, the number of active student sport clubs has increased over 25% from 35 clubs in 2006 to 45 current clubs and there are currently 6 more clubs in the approval process, and

Whereas, the amount of the allocation to support each club has decreased due to the number of clubs needing allocation. The total allocation amount for the clubs has not increased in the past 2 years because other costs such as travel expenses, insurance, and salaries have increased, and

Whereas, to ensure fiscal responsibility among current clubs, members are expected to raise funds for their expenses, which are in turn matched by Club Sport funds, and

Whereas, the larger number of student sports clubs has required additional insurance beyond the inflationary increase.  Insurance has increased from $26K to $30K in 2 years (15.4%), and

Whereas, Club Sports is currently stretched to its fiscal, spatial and supervisory limit; facility space, funding, and supervisory and professional staff are all at maximum capacity. New student sport clubs cannot be added to Club Sports without an adverse affect on current clubs fiscal allocations, and

Whereas, Club Sports seeks an inflationary increase and an additional $0.12 per student per semester beyond the current $3.95 per student per semester fee to maintain the current student sport clubs, and the expenses associated with these clubs, that have been approved and/or are in operation, and

Therefore, the Student Fee Review Committee recommends that Club Spots receives an inflationary increase not below 0% but no higher than the percentage change in the Consumer Price Index as defined by the Missouri Higher Education Student Funding Act of 2007 in addition to a $0.12 (3%) increase per student per semester.

Respectfully submitted,

The Student Fee Review Committee