WHEREAS, Missouri legislators approved a bill (commonly referred to as Senate Bill 389) that mandated a Consumer Information Website be posted for all public colleges and universities in the state, and
WHEREAS, the website must include the most recent instructor ratings available that will only be accessible to current MU students, and
WHEREAS, the students are the consumers and therefore the intended targets of the consumer website, and
WHEREAS, the teacher rating is compiled for the interest of students by students, and
WHEREAS, MU Faculty already distribute course evaluations that are used for the self-assessment of the faculty that are not accessible to the students, and
WHEREAS, the following questions were approved by the Faculty Council on April 10, 2008:
1. The course content, including the lectures, syllabus, grading standards and student
responsibilities, was presented clearly.
2. The instructor was interested in student learning.
3. Considering both the possibilities and limitations of the subject matter and the course (including class size and classroom facilities), the instructor taught effectively.
WHEREAS, the first question contains four separate aspects of the classroom that prove worthy of being evaluated separately would prove more effective in fairly evaluating the instructor.
THEREFORE, Be it resolved that MSA, LBC and RHA supports the following revisions posed by the Academic Affairs Committee to the instructor rating evaluations:
1. The lectures were presented clearly.
2. The syllabus was presented clearly.
3. The grading standards were presented clearly.
4. The student responsibilities were presented clearly.
5. The instructor was interested in student learning.
6. Considering both the possibilities and limitations of the subject matter and the course (including class size and classroom facilities), the instructor taught effectively.
EXECUTION: The following questions should be submitted to Dr. Jim Spain, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies, for consideration on the behalf of MSA, LBC and RHA.
Phyllis Williams Ian Krause Jonathan Mays
Academic Affairs Chair Vice-Chair AAC MSA Senate Speaker
Jim Kelley Chelsea Johnson Anthony Martin
MSA President MSA Vice-President LBC President
Jerusha Wells Robert K. Wood Nate Ballance
LBC Vice-President RHA President RHA Vice-President